Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Other Side of the World

It always amazes me how in less than twenty-four hours you can find yourself on the other side of the world. My arrival to Ho Chi Minh City (a.k.a. Saigon), Vietnam occurred without a hitch. I had an easy connection through Tokyo, and was thrilled to discover I had been moved up to business class for my flight into Ho Chi Minh City. It's decadent, being able to lie horizontal with down pillows and and a comforter at 35,000 feet. I was welcomed by beautiful Vietnamese women dressed in colorful silk gowns. They were greeting those who were arriving for the Mrs. World Pageant. The contestants will be staying at my hotel, The Windsor Plaza Hotel-Saigon.

I've already met a number of Op Smile volunteers and staff, some with familiar faces, others who will be traveling to different sites. We will disperse and go our separate ways tomorrow. Some of my team members won't arrive until the morning. Our bus departs for Can Tho at noon. That should give me some extra time to exercise and explore this part of the city. Although it's only 169 miles away (a little over 100 miles), the bus ride to Can Tho will take seven hours.

Here it's thirteen hours ahead of Minneapolis time. That being said, I'll try to get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment